Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Melissa x Zaha Hadid



Melissa Shoes have teamed up with world renowned architect Zaha Hadid and together created beautiful, utilitarian works of (affordable) art for the feet. Melissa shoes are known for their "vegan, eco-friendly" footwear but unfortunately, to me anyway, the use of PVC tells me differently. Fortunately for me, though, I have no qualms about having the pores of my feet absorb PVC carcinogens when they sweat... haaaa... ....

Her shoes are made of an extremely flexible PVC called MELFLEX which was developed in their laboratories. Currently, they're on a mission encouraging other businesses to use their newly created plastics.

The making of the four meter long mock-up of the shoe.

Melissa has also collaborated with Vivienne Westwood (!), Karim Rashid, Alexandre Herchovitch, J. Maskrey, and many others.

1 comment:

Cecilia said...

Those are pretty awesome! Being a shoe fiend myself ;]

Oh, but my experiences with rubber shoes and Portland rain (I have a pair of rubber siegerson morrison flats) is that they stink up after awhile ... Pretty gross. I don't know how that is with PVC, but I've seen some other Melissa shoes and they would've passed for rubber! haha

Hey Khathy! This is Cecilia!

About Me

My photo
Portland, OR
Keeping my readers classy one post at a time.

Blog Archive